President John J. Coffelt reported to the Board of Trustees that enrollment at YSU dropped 1.2 percent from 1976 figures. Coffelt cited a six percent decline in the freshman class as being chiefly responsible for the decrease.
Youngstown University's enrollment passed the 12,000 mark for the first time. University officials predicted a student body numbering 15,000 by the sixtieth anniversary of YU's founding in 1968.
The Dana Musical Institute of Youngstown College celebrated its 78th anniversary on October 12, 1946, at the annual Founder's Day banquet held at the Stoneleigh Tea Room.
Philip A. Snyder, former director of public information at Westminster College, was appointed director of public relations at Youngstown University. Raised in Youngstown, Snyder was a 1952 alumnus of YU.
Dr. George M. Wilcox was appointed head of the new Youngstown College education department. James W. Wishart and the Reverand H. M. Myers also were added to the faculty.
The founding of the Northeast Ohio Major Academic Libraries network (NEOMAL) was announced. YSU's new William F. Maag Library was one of the original members involved with the establishment of the consortium.
Dr. E. B. Smith, professor of history at Youngstown College, was one of a small group of professors and outstanding graduate students who were selected by the U.S. State Department to receive special instruction through a ...
The Youngstown Chamber of Commerce announced that President Howard W. Jones was to be its honored guest at the Chamber's Spring Forum Dinner, May 1, 1951, in the Ballroom of the Hotel Pick-Ohio.
Plans were announced for the production of a Youngstown University television show in a format similar to the G.E. College Bowl. Gil Doubet was appointed by Student Council to head the project.
President Howard W. Jones announced that D. V. "Dike" Beede's contract as head football coach at Youngstown College was renewed for another three years.
Major Robert S. Stacy, professor of military science and tactics with Youngstown College's ROTC detachment, was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel by the Department of the Army.
The acquisition of the Ford homestead, next to Pollock Hall on Wick Avenue, by Youngstown College was announced. Erected in 1863, the house was a gift from John W. Ford and Mrs. Benjamin L. Agler.
President Howard W. Jones announced the appointment of Dr. Hubert C. Howard to the English faculty at Youngstown College. He held a doctoral degree from The Ohio State University and was a U.S. Army veteran.